Crew member on GBR9793T Cheeki Rafiki
Red watch came on 1200 - 1800hrs
The blogger slept intensely. This followed a large porridge breakfast.
Blue watch came on 1800 - 2200hrs
This was the most beautiful sunset, accompanied by the large pod of dolphins that kept reappearing to provide jumping displays.
Gareth was already looking far ahead and explained how we may find ourselves in two days time tacking to Bishops Rock against the SE wind.
Through this watch we removed the reef and remained on the starboard tack,
This brought us to the south of the fastnet rock, somewhat disappointing as the photos from last year would have to do, we won't be seeing the infamous lighthouse on this trip.
The irish coast was totally hidden behind cloud and mist. We had one final faint glimpse of land through the mist but this would be our final siting of this historically troubled land..
We discussed our options at length. The synoptic forecasts we were receiving on the VHF from the Irish coastguard were not talking about any significant change in wind direction. The 'Ugrib' info we gathered last week is now useless and our next update will be off the Scilly's.
Gareth had a closer look at our three sources of conflicting tidal info for the Irish sea and emerged with another cunning plan.
Our tacks as essential east or south. The tide runs up and down the irish sea. We go east when the tide goes out and south when the tide goes in. The result is we get to the Scilly's in around 28 hours!
This plan works if the wind stays in the SE. I over simplify the above for sea state, and drift 'leeway'
At 2200 we switch to port tack, on a btw bearing of @180 deg.
We take the unusual step of agreeing our plan with red watch. It dawns on us that after over 1400miles of sailing the introduction of this joined up approach could well be the step forward we have been seeking.
To date such collaboration has been constrained to essentials such as food.
We all like this plan, it means tacking every six ours which means we can do continue to do nothing most of the time.
We stay on port tack for 5 more hours hoping the tide likes our plan too.
Very strong 'county cork' accents from the coastguard announce something unintelligible to do with the weather.
At 2230 we were 130nm from Bishop's rock on the Scilly's. And we had a plan. I wondered if Jill was on the Scilly's and hoped she was ok. She had talked about going while I was playing out.
Red watch returned 2200- 0200hrs
Ken Allison, Blue Watch Leader,