Crew member on GBR5936R GameOn
Firstly apologies for the lack of updates but we have had some problems getting our satellite data connection working. Likely only sporadic updates going forward but lets see.
Its currently 3.30PM Tuesday, and we are 50 miles into the Irish Sea heading for Bull Rock and rounding the S/W tip of the Emerald Isle. Hard on the wind in 20knots, sun shining with Ollie on the helm. Somewhat tough to type this out, with laptop on knees, legs braced in the nav station with the boat at a 30 degree angle and slamming waves !!! The life of a OBR (On Board Reporter).
The start feels like a distant memory now. It was great to have the Virgin Media Business team, our partners and people from Scope Charity chartering a very big spectator boat to follow us pre and post start. Big thank you to everyone that came along and hope you had a fab experience. Thank goodness we didn't disappoint with a great start fighting it out at the front. Our 3600 match race started immediatley as we were hot on Bam's tail out of the Solent. We managed to get back in front before St Caths !! Hooray....only 1780 miles more to duke it out....
The two days of sailing along the southern coast have been hard work. Sea state has been short and choppy, pushing us all over the place and making any task hard work. Ollie has been battling with some sea sickness but hopefully now getting through it - or is it my cooking ??
We are certainly racing very hard with same intensity as a weekend offshore. We managed to download weather at the Scilly's on 3G but had no time to check the Yellow Brick for our position. Our two Sunfast 3600 competitors have been popping up every so often on AIS. That said we have not seen Tigris for a day or so. Bam was two miles back at the Scilly's but look to go south of the Southern TSS whilst we threaded North. They didn't appear as left the Scilly's so not sure where they are currently or if that route paid off.
4 years ago we spent a great deal of the race close to Scarlet Oyster....and 4 years later we are close to them again. They got away across Lyme Bay but managed to get back close to them by the Scilly's. Trying to hang on to them and stay with the bigger class.
Anyway time to relieve Ollie after my 2 hour offwatch, we got a race to win/ do well at !!. 115 miles to Ireland and when we may be able to crack the sheets and get the boat level for a while. Then we count down to Friday and the bad weather forecast off Norther Scotland - I hope we wont need to take shelter again on Lewis.
Ian and Ollie